A Description of the Towne of Mannados or New Amsterdam 1664
This poster is a reproduction of a 17th century map of the town of what is now Manhattan in New York. The island was discovered in 1524, was settled by the Dutch in 1624 and was named New Amsterdam. It became a trading post of the Dutch West India Company. In 1664 the colony was surrendered to British forces and was renamed New York after James, Duke of York (1633-1701), brother to King Charles II, who had been granted the lands. This map was presented to the Duke of York showing how the town looked at the time of its surrender and has become known as 'The Duke's map'. It was drawn by Robert Holmes and was possibly copied from a Dutch map created in 1661 by Jacques Cortelyou. A fort stands near the Governor's house which is clearly identified and there are many houses and landscaped gardens. To the left of the town is a defensive wall built by the Dutch in 1635, which gives its name to 'Wall Street'. At the top of the map is Long Island and 'Passage place' has been marked on the opposite bank.
Unframed 27" x 27" for $15
Black wooden frame with plexiglass, 29" x 29" for $205.00